WordPress is a the most popular web site content management system and blogging application. It is used by thousands of companies, non-profit organizations and individuals and powers some of the busiest sites on the Internet such as Ebay, Wired and The New York Times to name a few.
WordPress is developed and maintained by hundreds of unpaid volunteers most of which are users of the system.
A content management system allows you, and whoever else you authorize, to update virtually every aspect of your web site including the look-and-feel. You can add an unlimited number of articles, custom pages, photos and other media.
WordPress is developed in PHP and is built upon a MySQL database in which all of your site information is stored. Page information is extracted from the database and dynamically displayed according to the site design. There are in fact, very few actual “pages” in a WordPress site. Because WordPress must use a database, the initial setup and hosting costs are higher than a standard static site.
Setting up a WordPress web site is more complicated than a typical web site and requires some forethought to determine how content should be organized. There are hundreds and perhaps thousands of templates that can be used with WordPress. This allows to preview what your site will look like before you commit to a final design.
There are many WordPress add-ons called widgets which add new features to the basic system for such things as advertising, directories, photo galleries and membership management. Frequently some programming changes are required as some widgets do not “play well with others”.
If you have chosen WordPress for your site, our services will include:
- Install database on web-server.
- Determine the overall colour palette.
- Assist in the selection of a site theme and modify to meet your specific requirements or develop a theme from scratch.
- Setup the site navigation and pages.
- Create custom graphics, icons and flash elements.
- Source photo material through numerous on-line services.
- Photograph people, locations and products.
- Write the site text or adapting it from other sources.
- Integrate widgets and plug-ins including programming.
- Develop custom modules such as photo galleries,
- Link your site to social media services.
- Add meta-data to facilitate location by search engines.
- Test in numerous browsers for compatibility.
- Submit your site to popular search engines.
- Register your domain name.
- Install custom libraries and database modules on a web server.
- Data entry to build lookup tables, storefront catalogues and reference tools.
- User training.
Your WordPress package Includes: site registration, design, 2 hours of free technical support, 2 hours of user operational training.